Re: Thunderbird not allowing local accounts

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:33:36 -0800
conover@rahul.net (John Conover) wrote:

> paulf@quillandmouse.com writes:
> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 11:58:09 -0500
> > Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Sylpheed?
> > >
> > > Celejar
> > >

> > It's starting to look that way. Actually, I'm looking at claws-mail.
> >

> Yea, and claws-mail is not compatible with Gmail's oauth2, which is
> now required by Google, (as of this month,) and Thunderbird is

? I'm still downloading my Gmail email via POP3 with getmail, without
OAuth2. For a couple of years now, Google has been pushing OAuth2, but
has still allowed ordinary POP3 / IMAP access to email using "app
specific passwords." Has something changed recently?

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/23019816/how-can-i-continue-to-use-pop-based-email-after-oauth-is-required-next-year

> compatible, but no longer supports local mbox delivery for a LAN.

FWIW, BTW, getmail (which does support mbox delivery) does have support
for Gmail's OAuth2 (in case you want / need to use it) via its
getmail-gmail-xoauth-tokens script:

https://www.bytereef.org/howto/oauth2/getmail.html

You can also find detailed instructions in the file
"getmailrc-examples.gz", in Debian's getmail6 package.

Celejar