Re: why bash completion sometimes doesn't work?

Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:

> By default, Debian installs the bash-completion package, which contains
> programmable completions for a whole bunch of commands.  This is
> enabled by dotting in a file from ~/.bashrc (the code to do this is
> at the end of /etc/skel/.bashrc, which becomes the default user ~/.bashrc
> file if you add users with "adduser").

Reading this has solved something which has puzzled me for some time. My
.bashrc is a leftover from when I was running Opensuse, and so bash
completion has never quite worked properly on the su command. Now I have
copied /etc/skel/.bashrc and it is working!