Re: Hyper-typematic and Firefox responsiveness in Weston.

    From: Johann Klammer <klammerj@a1.net>
    Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 19:15:53 +0100
> Haven't you noticed the x.org people f***ing stuff up since Xfree
> became x.org?

The two problems I described and the following are serious impairments
of the system.  A convincing explanation can help to solve a problem
but I have yet to find an explanation in these cases.

Spontaneously, windows in the display vanish.  =8~(  If a toolbar is
present at the bottom of the display, it remains.  A mouse click on
the toolbar restores the vanished windows.  =8~)  Appears that mouse
activity triggers vanishing.  Happens once per hour or two.
Infrequently enough to tolerate but definitely a nuisance.  When
OpenBox is used without a toolbar, the only way I have to restore the
display is close OpenBox and open anew.  =8~(

> Why do you expect this to chsange?

I don't particularly expect progress but without progress Debian will
become an obsolete curiosity.  As have Atari ST and Amiga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga
A few dedicated hobbyists use them.  They are not general purpose
workstations.

Incidentally, with a little dedication and skill Atari and Amiga
handle email.  That's textual email.  A MUA doesn't have to be a video
player.  A boot loader doesn't have to be an operating system.

For progress to occur, maintainers need to acknowledge problems
honestly and address honestly.  "Try testing." and "Does the problem
remain in the new stable release?" might help; they aren't solutions.

Too much icing on top of a cake will make it fall over.  =8~(  Better
to remove some icing and focus on the lower layers of cake.  =8~)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_cake

Johann, the tone of your question suggests (to me at least) that you
don't expect a Debian system to be a general purpose workstation.
Is the Linux workstation obsolete?  Is Debian just a hobby for a small
population with unusual interests?

Regards,                          ... P.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147
  VoIP: +1 604 670 0140