Re: Why MBR partitioning (was: Reasonably simple setup for 1...)

Hi,

Felix Miata wrote:
> I just found out from Asus that Intel 500 series chipsets do not support CSM.
> Luckily my cloned NVME came from another NVME configured for UEFI. So, some
> new computers don't support MBR.

The usability of MBR partitioned devices is not tied to CSM.
The UEFI specs define MBR partition type 0xef for the EFI System Partition.

Nevertheless, experiments of Ubuntu with its bootable ISOs showed that
some few firmwares refuse to boot from a storage device that has no GPT.

It would still have to be determined whether the lack of error reports
in regard to Debian's bootable ISOs for amd64 and i386 means that those
firmwares recognize GPT Basic Data Partitions of type
EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 as storage location of EFI boot
programs. The specs prescribe type C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
but Debian ISOs don't have such a partition. They have an MBR partition
of type 0xef, though.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas