Re: Update Debian 9 to 10

[this appears to have been meant for the list]

On Vi, 10 dec 21, 20:25:26, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> > Yes, it's possible, e.g. in case there was a conflict and APT decided it
> > > should remove remove your Desktop Environment to resolve the conflict.
> >
> > > This should be visible in the logs or just try running:
> >
> >     > dpkg -l '*dm'
> >

> The output out the command is Desired =Unknown/Install/Remove?Purge/Hold
> |
> Status=Not/inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/half-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status, Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/Name     Version    Architecture    Description
> un  mdadm   <none>    <none>        (no description available)
>
> Which means that there is no Desktop Environment installed

More precisely, no Display Manager (DM). Even if you do have a Desktop
Environment installed, the DM is responsible for automatically starting
it.

Please try to log in on the console and run:

    startx

If you do get a Desktop Environment (which one?) most likely all you
need is to install a DM. For Gnome you probably want GDM (package
'gdm').

> > Alternatively (and more likely) Xorg is failing to start for some
> > reason.
> >
> > > Anything interesting in the output of `journalctl -ab`,
> > > /var/log/Xorg.0.log or ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log?
> >

> journalctl -ab /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> returns Couldn't cannonicalize path : No such file or directory
>
> as well as ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log?

Apologies, that should have been clearer, I meant: please post the
output of:

    journalctl -ab

(requires root or sudo to get useful output)

as well as the *contents* of /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log (whichever exists).

Since you don't have a DM installed these are only useful if the Desktop
Environment fails to start.

Kind regards,
Andrei