Re: Firefox ESR EOL

On Jo, 09 dec 21, 23:24:11, Marco Möller wrote:

> It's a pity that Debian cannot be flexible to offer more secure and already
> available binary versions of software for the assumed many users only caring
> for installing a binary from the official Debian repository on some very
> typical PC hardware, and marking the rest of the job, like providing all the
> toolchain for those who want to compile software themselves, or providing
> binaries for less frequently used hardware, to still be on delay.
>
> I mean, GUI web browsers and GUI email clients like Firefox and Thunderbird
> are more likely used on Intel or AMD powered PCs and laptops, than on other
> architectures, right? This is at least my guess. In my opinion and in this
> particular case it would be good to get a vast of users as quickly as
> possible into secure waters instead of putting most of them on risk of
> grounding in order to treat all possible victims the same.

$ apt list firefox-esr
firefox-esr/oldstable,now 78.15.0esr-1~deb10u1 arm64 [installed]

One of Debian's strengths is treating all release architectures as first
class citizens. Without that the Project might as well just drop
"problematic" architectures.

ARM64 is likely to see *more* (not less) use in desktops and laptops,
and RISC V might also be an option in the future.

The additional competition is healthy also for x86 (even if less so for
Intel's and AMD's bottom line).

Kind regards,
Andrei