Re: Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On 2021-12-01, Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land> wrote:

> Speaking of colour, I work at Red Hat and I have had 🎩 (U+1F3A9 TOP
> HAT) as the shell prompt character for the main RHEL virtual machine I
> use for work. At that time, my terminal did not support colour glyphs,
> and the font that was used to render that happened to use the Fedora
> fedora for that glyph, and I coloured it red using terminal colour
> escape codes. Later, IBM bought Red Hat. And at a similar time, I
> updated my (Debian) system and gained the ability to display coloured
> glyphs. The chosen font to supply that glyph was changed, and my
> red-coloured monochrome hat became a blue one. Spooky.

For what it's worth, I read this list in slrn via Usenet
(linux.debian.user).  The "top hat" glyph you include above shows up
as a two-character-wide box with tiny hex numbers in it, like this:

.---.
|01F|
|3A9|
`---'

I'm running Buster on a Lenovo T410.  My primary interest in UTF-8
is to display characters with various diacritical marks, which it
handles quite well.

On the other hand, while composing this reply in Thunderbird,
the top hat showed up.

BTW at the start of your signature lines I see the following:

.-------.
|01F|01F|
|471|3FB|
`-------'

(pencil)

.---.
|01F|
|517|
`---'

Note: those hex characters are _really_ tiny - even with a
magnifying glass I might have misread some of them.

In Thunderbird they come out as a blond-haired smiley face
with light-coloured skin, a pencil, and a couple of links
of chain.  I guess Thunderbird's UTF-8 support is quite good.

> (This whole thing reminded me of a sub-project I have on the
> backburner to map the Debian swirl to a spare unicode code-point;
> or, to U+F000 in the private use area, where Apple systems display
> the Apple logo. I got as far as importing the swirl graphic into a
> OTF format font.  I should pick it up!)

Fun.

>> Again, my apologies.
>
> No problem. Thank you,

Glad I could smooth the waters.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Life is perverse.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  It can be beautiful -