Re: Debian 9 on H410 hardware / Upgraded to 11 - Zenity width quirk

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:35:20AM -0500, Allen Hoover wrote:
> line.  For instance, zenity --info --text "The quick brown fox jumped
> over the lazy dogs", displays in 5 rows, instead of in 1 row like it
> used to before upgrading.  The behaviour is the same on a fresh install
> of 11.
>
> Was curious if anyone else had issues with this, and if there is a way
> to change the default behaviour.  Or do I need to go through and add
> --width and --height options in every instance where zenity is used?

The man page says the real documentation is in GNOME.  Ugh.  Gack.
This is *repulsive*!

So, working with what limited information they *deigned* to put in the
man page, --info says it displays an "info dialog", whatever that is.
Then under "Info options" there are only three choices:

       --text=STRING
              Set the dialog text

       --no-wrap
              Do not enable text wrapping

       --no-markup
              Do not enable pango markup

Adding --no-wrap makes it show up in a single line instead of multiple
lines, at least on my system.  And using --text="..." vs. --text "..."
seems to make no difference, with or without --no-wrap.

Sorry, that's all the information I can dig up, because I do not run
freaking GNOME and therefore cannot read the freaking documentation.
If you want to know things like "how to change the default options" or
"how to remain backward compatible with previous versions of Zenity
and/or GTK" or "what the hell an info dialog is", apparently you have
to run GNOME.