Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

On Sun 14 Nov 2021 at 19:35:57 (+0100), Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > unicorn:~$ sudo lsblk -o +UUID
>
> David Wright wrote:
> > You shouldn't require root for either blkid or lsblk,
> > though the former needs a path, and does include a
> > warning that the information may be read from cache.
>
> This depends highly on the age of the system.
> On Debian 8 you don't get much UUID from the system disks without the
> permission to read them.
> On Debian 10 lsblk seems to depend mostly on udev's assessment.

I should have mentioned that I'm using buster here.

> > > ├─sda1   8:1    0   260M  0 part /boot/efi  4C30-7972
>
> The universe must be small where this FAT UUID is unique.

I don't think there's any need for it to be more than locally unique.
I think I can live with odds of 1:4294967296. What's more important
is that ID_PART_ENTRY_TYPE=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b (or
0xef on MBRs), which of course is anything but unique.

> > One question about lsblk, though: why does it always
> > use the xterm width to format the output, regardless of
> > whether you redirect the output and the value of COLUMNS.
>
> For me on Debian 10 it does not care about the terminal size.
> If i request a few sometimes lengthy fields from lsblk -h i get 206 bytes
> per line (plus newline) printed to stdout:
>
>   $ lsblk -o NAME,KNAME,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID,PARTTYPE,PARTLABEL,PARTUUID,MODEL,SIZE | head -1 | wc -c
>   207

Ah yes, you're right. The redirected output is always the minimum
required for columnating the headings and data. It's the /screen/
output that I can't control, ie the amount of overlap employed is
always that which just fills the lines in the xterm.

> In the newest version of the man page
>   https://sources.debian.org/src/util-linux/2.37.2-4/misc-utils/lsblk.8/#L179
> i see an option which is not in the Debian 10 man page:

[-w, --width number]

Yes, not in buster's version at all. I must play with that in bullseye.
Thanks.

Cheers,
David.