Re: set the number of inodes during FS creation via pressed

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 at 04:10, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 13 Nov 2021 at 00:31:42 (+0000), phoebus phoebus wrote:

> > Do you know if it possible to set the number of inodes  to create in
> > the filesystem during the installalation with the pressed file?

> > If i start from this example for the filesystem /var/log, how to set
> > numbers of inodes inside it ?

> >                 500 550 1024 ext4 \            lv_name{ varlog } \
> >             method{ lvm } format{ } \
> >             use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext4 } \
> >             label{ varlog } \
> >             mountpoint{ /var/log } \
> >                         options/nodev{ nodev } \
> >                         options/nosuid{ nosuid } \
> >                         options/noexec{ noexec } \
> >             options/relatime{ relatime } \
> >             $lvmok{ } \
> >             . \

> > Hope to do it as mkfs do it: mkfs -t ext4 -N iNumberOfINodes /dev/XdY ?

> I don't know about the actual number, but I think there's a crude
> switch under   use_filesystem{ }   which can be set, from memory,
> to one of three options, Standard, large files (fewer inodes for,
> say, multimedia) and lots of files (more inodes, say, mail server).
> I've only seen the choice (years ago) in the interactive d-i,
> and don't know the magic preseed terms.

This site is quite useful:
  https://preseed.debian.net/debian-preseed/

>From there I found this file for bullseye:
  https://preseed.debian.net/debian-preseed/bullseye/amd64-main-full.txt

which contains this stanza which appears to match your description:

#   Please specify how the file system is going to be used, so that
#   optimal file system parameters can be chosen for that use.
#   .
#   standard = standard parameters,
#   news = one inode per 4KB block,
#   largefile = one inode per megabyte,
#   largefile4 = one inode per 4 megabytes.
# d-i partman-basicfilesystems/specify_usage select <choice>
# Possible choices: ${CHOICES}

Which is not what the OP requested, but maybe it helps.  It is the only
occurrence of "inode" in that file.  I did not check the other two files
that contain the "contrib" and "non-free" data.