Re: [OT, deeply] Guix

>> I would love to see Debian move towards a model like that of NixOS or
>> Guix.  One of the main benefits I see of those systems is that it has
>> a declarative description of what the system should contain.
> I can't see the point. You can have the Guix package manager¹ now, as
> it allegedly installs on top of "foreign distros" (their term).
> It appears to me that you need well-resourced machines to benefit by its
> ability to have different versions of packages for the system, and
> yet more for individual users. I'm not typically in that position.

The way packages are installed is one part of Guix/Nix.
That's not the part I referred to.

We can have a declarative description of what the system should contain
without having to use NixOS/Guix's system where every package is
installed into a separate subdirectory, and without supporting
multiple-simultaneous-versions.

        Stefan