Re: Problem with Synaptic

On Friday 12 November 2021 07:30:36 Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> On 11/11/2021 03:11 PM, Brian wrote:

> >> Very interesting. Thank you.
> >
> > Interesting indeed. Reaching for printing and scanning drivers,
> > whether free or non-free, is still a user's first thought. I
> > suppose one should work to tackle the issue you outline but
> > switching to driverless printing and scanning is a lot easier
> > and makes most problems involving drivers go away. Additionally,
> > it future-proofs the printing and scanning systems.
>
> This is the immediate problem that I need to fix:
>
> comp@AbNormal:~$ sudo apt upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: The package brscan4 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
> archive for it.
>
> sudo apt update ran without any problems.

Thats b'cuz the Brother installer puts all that stuff in /opt, and for
the most part I havn't touched it in around 3 years. It has some tcp crc
hiccups early on, but thats gone away a long time ago and for a cheap
B&W brother lazer, and a huge MFC-J6920DW, it Just Works. And synaptic
has not ever asked for my attention by fussing about it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis