Re: Package: nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver

On 10.11.21 at 13:25 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> I've never used an nvidia card myself, so I don't have first-hand
> experience with them.  From what I understand, the process of getting
> graphics to work properly with nvidia goes something like this:
>
> 1) Install Debian.
>
> 2) Install firmware if needed.  This may make the nouveau driver work
>    acceptably, or it may not.  If the nouveau driver with firmware
>    works well enough for your needs, stop here.
>
> 3) Identify which card you have, and therefore which driver you need.
>    There's more than one proprietary nvidia driver version.
>
> 4) Install the desired nvidia driver, which involves building a kernel
>    module from an out-of-tree source package, which means installing
>    the kernel headers which match your running kernel(s), and so on.
>
> 5) Bl(a|o)cklist the nouveau driver if necessary.  I'm not sure if this
>    step is still required.
>
> 5.5) (Optional) Offer prayers and/or sacrifices to appropriate deities.
>
> 6) Reboot.
>
> 7) Start X and see what happens.

Manual activities in steps 4 and 5 are quite well handled by the package
nvidia-driver (and it's legacy variants) in Debian non-free.

But I read from her other posts that the latest proprietary driver which
Debian ships is already installed and according to command line tools is
supposed to work.

As xfce currently does not support it, the problem is probably also not
related to wayland.