Re: Occasional failure of X to start

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Richmond wrote:
>> Nov 07 19:38:37 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Main process exited,
>> code=killed, status=12/USR2 Nov 07 19:38:37 systemd[1]: xdm.service:
>> Failed with result 'signal'.
>
> Googling "xdm USR2" brings me to
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=948346
> which shows the same message.

OK so I should have thought of doing that.

> The bug seems to be still open and tagged with "help":
>   https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#tags
>   "help
>    The maintainer is requesting help with dealing with this bug.
>    Either the maintainer does not have the skills necessary to fix this
>    bug and desires collaboration, or is overloaded and wants to delegate
>    this task. [...]"
>
> I understand that logrotate sends signal USR2 to xdm to tell it that
> it shall close and reopen the log file, because the old one was renamed
> and a new current log file was created.
> Introduced possibly because of
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=285871
>
> It would be interesting to learn whether after such a start failure
> on your machine the file
>   /var/log/xdm.log
> shows indications that it was created newly.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root              root    6656 Nov  7 19:38 xdm.log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root              root       0 Nov  7 19:38 xdm.log

It seems so. I hadn't noticed it was always on a Sunday but could be.

I should configure logrotate /etc/logrotate.d/xdm remove weekly and put
size=1G then hopefully it won't happen for a few years?