Re: clean Bullseye install, display disappears after "loading initial ramdisk"

(Is there a reason why the line after the quote and before your new
text, in both cases where that happened, consisted of a string of 11 tab
characters instead of being empty? I had to delete the tabs manually in
order to avoid having it mess up quoting in this reply.)

On 2021-11-05 at 19:03, Felix Miata wrote:

> The Wanderer composed on 2021-11-05 18:25 (UTC-0400):
>
>> There's a specific kernel-command-line parameter (on top of
>> 'nomodeset') for disabling KMS with certain types of Intel
>> integrated GPU; I don't remember it off the top of my head, but I
>> believe it involves the string 'i915'.
>
> Nomodeset disables KMS for all graphics hardware.

While I have no reason to doubt this statement, it doesn't seem to
entirely line up with what I've observed in the real world.

I've encountered cases where specifying just 'nomodeset' didn't make the
system stop attempting to switch to a more-advanced display mode (and go
blank, losing the ability to display at all), but specifying both that
and 'i915.whateveritwas' did.

(With exactly the same live-boot image, on different hardware,
specifying just 'nomodeset' worked just fine. So it wasn't something odd
about the boot environment, or at least not exclusively so.)

>> Disabling kernel modesetting isn't the greatest thing for long-term
>> use, but if it can let you boot, you may be able to use that as a
>> basis for figuring out what other solutions may be possible.
>
> Nomodeset is primarily intended to be a troubleshooting parameter.
> KMS, which nomodeset disables, is an absolute requirement for
> competent graphics performance from al FOSS drivers supporting AMD,
> Intel and NVidia GPUs, among others.

I figured it'd be something like that, but didn't have the
(sufficiently-recent) direct experience to be able to say for sure.

--
   The Wanderer