Re: Then it happened to me...

* On 2021 10 Oct 07:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 10 October 2021 06:36:32 Reco wrote:
> > [2] https://discourse.debian.org/
> This does not resolve.

Good!

I don't care for Discourse.  At. All.  Too much is in control of the
site admins.  It can probably be argued that email has too little
control, however, my main gripe about the Discourse setups I have
registered with are that the admins lock threads after a relatively
short period of time.  I do understand that some don't like old threads
coming back to the top but sometimes it is relevant to revive an old
thread as new information comes available.  Unlike TV, in the real world
solutions aren't always found in 39 1/2 minutes!

One thing about email lists, at least those managed by GNU Mailman, is
that they're archived and often the archive can be obtained by anyone
thereby preserving the content.  Just try to do that with the average
Web forum, and note that I am no stranger to Web forums.

Finally, email lets me use the mail agent and the editor *I* want, not
what is dictated by the forum software.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB