Re: iwd: Using iwd to connect to a wireless network (Part 1 - Connection status show OK but unable to surf the net)

On 9/30/21, Stella Ashburne <rewefie@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Hi, Stella, you're most welcome. :)

>> Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 2:38 PM
>> From: "riveravaldez" <riveravaldezmail@gmail.com>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: iwd: Using iwd to connect to a wireless network (Part 1 -
>> Connection status show OK but unable to surf the net)
>>

>> Hi, my case was similar, while in Debian I use just
>> /etc/network/interfaces
>> file or NM, in a Dell laptop with Arch I was using Wicd until it got more
>> or less abandoned and out of official repositories (like in Debian,
>> IIRC),
>
> You're right. Before writing this reply, I checked for the latest version of
> wicd on packages.debian.org and the latter returned zero results.

I used Wicd for a long time, always flawlessly, simple and lightweight.
But sadly it seems like last version is from 2016[1] and «wicd depends
on python2 and is unmaintained.»[2] I don't know of any port to python3.

>> so, following Arch wiki instructions, I changed Wicd for the
>> systemd-networkd+iwd combo, and the Wi-Fi connections are working
>> fine (previously, wpa_supplicant gave me some persistent problems...).
>> So, I can say that it's a pretty functional and simple tool for the task.
>> Meaning, it works.
>>
> According to some tutorials that I found on the internet, it's advisable to
> remove/uninstall wpa_supplicant before using iwd due to potential
> conflicts.

Indeed. You must first remove wpa_supplicant. They perform, more or less,
the same function, I guess.

> As for your statement "..I changed Wicd for the systemd-networkd+iwd
> combo...", how did you do it? Could you share how you used systemd-networkd
> with iwd please? I'm still learning Linux, you know and I appreciate all the
> help that everyone here is willing to give.

Sure, but I did this in an Arch system, so, I'm not sure the steps would be
the same -probably not. I followed the detailed instructions you can read (more
or less, in that order) at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Wireless
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-networkd
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Iwd

«The systemd package is part of the default Arch installation and contains all
needed files to operate a wired network. Wireless adapters, covered
later in this
article, can be set up by services, such as wpa_supplicant or iwd.»

So, IIRC, just be sure to don't have N-M, Wicd, etc., installed.

In Debian I just use the /etc/network/interfaces file or N-M, but
probably it would
be best for you to check these:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemdNetworkd
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager/iwd

Sorry I can't provide nothing succinct and useful/straightforward.

Best regards!

[1] https://launchpad.net/wicd
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wicd