Re: Privacy and defamation of character on Debian public forums

rhkramer@gmail.com writes:

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 08:45:13 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:00:06AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Well, to be fair to Google, the first two or three hits did show FAOD,
> > but without explaining what it meant -- those sites that you have to
> > actually go to to find the meaning.  I skipped over those to find a hit
> > that actually included the meaning, and the first (and next) one(s) I
> > found were for FOAD, and I didn't notice the difference.
>
> Fascinating.  My first page results from Google were all of this form:
>
>   What are long-chain fatty acid oxidation disorders (LC-FAOD)?
>   https://www.faodinfocus.com › learn-about-lc-faod
>   LC-FAOD are rare, genetic metabolic disorders that prevent the body from
> breaking down long-chain fatty acids into energy during metabolism.
>
> This is obviously wrong in this context.
>
> The entire first page consisted solely of results like this, so I didn't
> even bother going to page 2.

Hmm, I don't remember the eact google query I tried, I might have done
something like [define: FAOD slang] or something similar (maybe "acronym", but
maybe more likely "slang").

Trying to find out what the fuss was about, my first query was

	FAOD urban dictionary

which yielded

1. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Faod (not helpful)
2. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foad

Like rhkramer, I did not notice that the letters were intermingled.

When entering

	FAOD

I get results similar to Greg's. When entering

	FAOD meaning

(as suggested by Google for related searches), I get this among the top results:

https://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/FAOD.html

That, finally, explains it.

Most of the time, I try to stick to acronyms that are found in "The Jargon File" (package `jargon`) because these seem to have a pretty agreed-upon meaning :)

HTH and YMMV
Linux-Fan

öö