Re: foolish problem with installer: can't load firmware

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 04:23:28AM -0400, lou wrote:

[...]

> i don't think your lecture is convincing

OK.

> some claim they can read binary or reverse-engineer
>
> forcing user to use some ink might violate anti-monopoly law

This sounds like someone pro-regulations...

> if printer maker don't enjoy monopoly, user can choose other printer

...while this more like pro-unrestricted market.

So you're hedging your bets, aren't you ;-)

> excluding non-free firmware in official image make little difference
> to hardware manufacturers

It's not about making a difference to hardware manufacturers.
It's about making a difference to you and me, i.e. the users.

If I download an official Debian and copy it to an USB stick,
I *know* I can give it away, sell it, modify it without getting
into legal hassle.

> it only cause inconvenience to user

As soon as there is non-free software in it, all bets are up.
So keeping the repositories clearly separate is a service
to us.

Cheers
 - t