Re: Debian 11: Nvidia NVS 310 with nvidia driver freezes after two days

On Mon Sep 20 08:42:33 2021 "Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 19.09.2021 16:22, Roger Price wrote:
>
>> My Nvidia NVS 310 card with the nvidia 390.144 driver starts off
>> perfectly, but after two days freezes: no reaction to keyboard or
>> mouse action.
>
> Have you tried to run some benchmarks to force the issue? By doing
> that you could reveal some potential problem with inadequate cooling
> or problems of electrical nature.
> It is quite old hardware so it is hard to tell for sure. There could
> be myriad reasons why it freezes, ranging from faulty capacitors on
> motherboard and VGA to a faulty PSU.

I was having similar problems with an old nVidia card (GeForce 630).
A friend gave me an ATI card to try.  Although I never did get his
card to work, I did discover that my old card was in rough shape
physically.  The fan had broken down, and the cooling fins on the
heat sink were full of dust bunnies.  There wasn't much I could do
for the fan, but I gave the heat sink a thorough cleaning and put
the card back in.  It's been running for over a week now with no
problems, where before it was locking up every day or two.

>> I still have nouveau present.  dpkg-query -l | grep nouveau reports:
>>  ii  libdrm-nouveau2:amd64      2.4.104-1  amd64 Userspace interface
>> to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
>>  ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.17-1 amd64 X.Org X server --
>> Nouveau display driver
>
> Doesn't matter if you have 'nouveau' installed, since proprietary
> nvidia  driver blacklists it for you upon installation.

On earlier versions of Debian (I'm currently running Buster),
I was having trouble with the nouveau driver locking up.
Replacing it with nVidia's proprietary driver corrected
that problem, so I've been wary of nouveau ever since.
But if your graphics card overheats, it doesn't matter
which driver you're running.  :-)

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.