Re: qemu-system-x86: qemu doesn't show window with VM

Am Montag, 20. September 2021 schrieb Dan Ritter:
> Stefan Krusche wrote:
> > Good Day All,
> >
> > Problem description:
> >
> > When I start qemu with the following command the VM seemingly gets
> > started but no window whatsoever shows up. AFAIR it always has
> > worked like that before.
> >
> > $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024M -name "Devuan GNU/Linux
> > Beowulf" -enable-kvm \
> > -vga cirrus -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::1926-:22 -cdrom \
> > /mnt/somedir/devuan_beowulf_3.0.0_amd64_desktop-live.iso \
> > -boot menu=on &
> > $ qemu64 -m 1024M -name "eXe GNU/Linux" -enable-kvm -vga cirrus
> > -net nic \
> > -net
> > user,hostfwd=tcp::1921-:22 -cdrom
> > /mnt/isodir/exegnu64_beowulf-20200707.iso &
>
> I don't expect an invocation of qemu to open a window, I expect
> it to run the VM.

Well, not sure what you mean. Does the VM not run in a window?!

I'm pretty sure that in the past like until 1-2 years ago always a
window opened up in which the VM (actually the OS I wanted to run in a
VM) was running (for example with the boot menu from an install.iso).

In this window I could with 'Ctrl+1' or 'Ctrl+2' switch between the
running VM and the qemu console (there was also 'Ctrl+3' but I don't
remember whatfor). I can't remember to have used any virtmanager
software. I only used the command above and a window would open with
the running VM.

> If you want to see the console of the VM, use virtviewer or
> spiceclient or vncviewer as appropriate.
>
> if you want an all-in-one management system, run this via
> virtmanager.

I'm a bit puzzled because I never had to use any of these…

> -dsr-

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Stefan