Re: Mutt/Neomutt and mailcap

On Thu 16 Sep 2021 at 05:37:43 (-0500), Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2021 15 Sep 21:36 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > I think what your system is doing is as follows:
> >
> > You probably have in your (default) /etc/Muttrc:
>
> In my case, /etc/neomuttrc, and the following does exist.
>
> My assumptions have been that the system RC is ignored when a user's RC
> exist.  I am finding this is not entirely true in all cases.

I can't speak for neomutt, but mutt has started by reading /etc/Muttrc
(unless you tell it not to, with -n) ever since it entered Debian in
hamm (1998). Being read after Muttrc, your own .muttrc can overwrite
mutt's defaults.

There are programs that behave in the way you suggested;
for example, xpdf comes to mind.

> Thanks for the helpful pointers through the maze!
>
> The problem is that I visit something like this once about every several
> years and it's all new again.  Sigh...

Yes, same here, which is partly why I tried tracking it through.
I actually have a ~/.mutt/mailcap-mutt defined that matches only
a very select set of file types.

Cheers,
David.