Re: LTS versions - confusion

On Lu, 13 sep 21, 10:18:54, Tanstaafl wrote:

> I'm a former Gentoo user, and really appreciated the rolling release
> aspect, since it meant no huge jumps between LTS releases with other
> distros.

You already received good answers for your questions, so I'll just add
that one of Debian's strengths is the smooth in-place upgrade[1] from
one stable release to the next.

It is quite well documented[2] and tested, and mostly just works. Just
check the archives of this list for the past month (since bullseye was
released). There were some issues, but most upgrades just went smooth.

The major benefit[3] of this approach is that in the approximately 2
years between stable releases there is very little to do worry about
other than applying security updates in due time (and even that can be
easily automated).

Even if you do choose to use unstable instead, it's still recommended to
keep a stable install ready, just in case.

[1] sometimes called a "dist-upgrade", for historical reasons

[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/releasenotes or the very
short summary https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBullseye

[3] or downside, because it can be quite boring :p

Hope this helps,
Andrei