Re: shim_init error for debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-kde.iso

On Thu, Sep 09, 2021 at 03:24:47PM +0200, Bernd Speiser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know to which mailing list I should send this request/bug report
> since it is not obviously related to a particular package. I'd be grateful
> for your help.
>
> I use a Fujitsu Lifebook A3510 which only has uefi boot as an option (no
> more legacy boot available). Secure boot is disabled. The BIOS is Insyde H20
> v. 1.10 (04/23/2021). On this machine, I have installed openSUSE Leap 15.3.
>
> I want to use the debian live system (in fact, I want to use GParted which
> is based on debian). Thus, I downloaded the debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-kde.iso
> (checksum OK) and copied to a USB-Stick.

https://gparted.org/liveusb.php - Download gparted directly and try with
their image.

You might want to try to boot the Debian live image you have with secure boot
enabled and see if that will actually boot successfully. Recent media
does support secure boot well.

> This stick boots the live system OK on another Fujitsu Lifebook (E756) which
> still has the legacy boot process, so I guess it is a valid bootable medium.
>
> Now, on the A3510 with uefi boot, the boot process stops quickly with the
> following error message:
>
> set_second_stage() failed: Invalid Parameter
> Something has gone seriously wrong: shim_init() failed: Invalid Parameter
>
> As a result, the live system of course is not available.
>

> Is there any way to create a debian compatible bootx64.efi that would solve
> the boot problem?

As above, you should not need to do this.

> I am prepared to send you any additional information needed, if you guide me
> to find it (I have no previous debian experience ...).
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Bernd Speiser
> Institut für Organische Chemie