Re: smart fans

David Christensen wrote:

>> You seem to have got the old file again, check it out again,
>> because some of those issues have already been
>> mentioned/fixed:
>>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ebchw/cpu.txt
>
> Much better:
>   http://www.holgerdanske.com/pub/dpchrist/debian-user/20210821-smart-fans/

OK, what stuff remains, remove the spaces? Let's do it good
now that we spent so much time on it :)

> Have you isolated and identified the primary sound source(s)
> in the computer?

I removed the HDD, now I have an SSD (M.2), so that should be
no more 29 dB (worst case) from the HDD. Also... the M.2 is
much faster so now Debian boots much faster and stuff
like that. Amazing :)

Where does it come from?

I still don't know the dB of the GPU

  GFX    msi Nvidia Geforce GT 710 · 2GB DDR3 · PCI-E2.0 · HDMI+DL-DVI-D

and I also don't know the dB of the PSU, however I did find
out it is a

  PSU    Seasonic Focus 100-240VAC

> Have you implemented any vibration or sound
> mitigation measures?

See the COMPUTER file for upgrades :)

I finally understand it, I think, the first digit isn't the
minimum duty cycle (that's the second digit) but the _minimum
speed_, so we see that the DC fans can only go as low as 60%,
while the 140 mm PWM fan can get down to 20% and the 120 mm
dittos 24%.

However one can in the BIOS/UEFI/Setup explicitly say DCs
should disable when not even 60% is needed because of whatever
temperature function one has defined (I just choose the
optimal which was computed live BTW, cool)

So the problem was, perhaps, that the 2 DCs were running at
60% all the time, even when the computer was idle?

So Maybe I should get away with the "Corsair A1225M12S" and
the DC version of "be quiet! Shadow Wings 2" and replace with
the PWM versions I already have (but too few), then all 140 mm
will run at 20% and all 120 mm will run at 24%?
                                                         min.   min.
fan    connector  fan                      mm  pin dB(A) speed  duty cycle
       CHA_FAN1   Corsair A1225M12S        120  3  18.9  60%    34%
       CHA_FAN2   be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 140  4  14.9  20%    17%
       CHA_FAN3   be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 140  3  14.7  60%    24%
       CPU_FAN    be quiet! Pure Wings 2   120  4  15.9  24%    25%
       CPU_OPT    be quiet! Pure Wings 2   120  4  15.9  24%    25%

> If you have magnetic HDD's, switching to SSD's would
> eliminate those vibrations.

I had the SSD M.2 mounted on the motherboard all along,
without ever using it!

Now worst-case has gone from

  (db 18.9 14.9 14.7 15.9 15.9 29.0) ; 30.0 dB

  (db 14.9 15.9 15.9) ; 20.36 dB
  <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/audio.el>

since the DC fans stop. However when idling shouldn't be the
"worst case", so the PWM fans at 20%, 24%, and 24%
respectively shouldn't do that kind of noise, so my guess is
it is the GPU ...

But I didn't try to read and see if it still annoys me (or if
I even notice a difference), so let's do that now :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal