Re: Lock screen with Gnome 3 login greeter

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 12:50:43PM +0200, Richard Forst wrote:

> > I switched to use i3. So now after the screen goes blank, it won't display
> > greeter asking to login again. I read somewhere else on the internet that
> > gdm3 (I use Debian 11 with kernel 5.10.0-8-amd64) no longer uses
> > screensaver to lock the session. Instead it uses dbus to activate login
> > asking user to enter id, password for login.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, because our setups are clearly
different, but:

What I use is startx + fvwm, and I have installed the i3lock package
as a replacement for xlockmore, which was removed a very long time
ago.

When I want to lock my screen, I run "i3lock" as a command (either in
a terminal, or activated from a WM menu).  This gives a plain white
screen.  To unlock it, I simply type my password.  There's a green
circle in the middle of the screen that appears while typing, to let
me know that my keystrokes are actually being received.

In my setup, there is no automatic locking at all.  It's always done
manually, by running i3lock.

I don't know what your setup is (you mention gdm3, but you didn't actually
make it clear that you're *running* gdm3 -- it might simply have been
something that you found during your Internet searches).  You mentioned
i3, so I thought it might be possible that you're also using i3lock,
perhaps in some sort of automatic mode.  I don't know how the rest of i3
works, outside of the i3lock program.

When your screen locks, what do you see?  Is it a plain white screen?
A plain black screen?  A still image?  An animation?

Which display manager are you using, if any?  If you use "startx", then
the answer is "none", and your setup is similar to mine.  Otherwise,
you might be using lightdm, or gdm3, or xdm, or any of several other
display mangers, most of which have the substring "dm" somewhere in
their name.

I wonder if switching from gdm3 to lightdm would be enough to solve
your problem, if you are in fact using gdm3.  I don't know a lot about
display managers, since I don't use them myself.  Maybe worth looking
into...?