Re: which vs. type, and recursion?

On 4/09/21 9:26 pm, Brian wrote:
On Sat 04 Sep 2021 at 21:21:38 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:

Greg Wooledge pointed out in another thread that 'type' is often better than
'which' for finding out what kind of command you're about to run, and where
it comes from.

A quick test, however, threw up another issue:

richard@zircon:~$ type ls
ls is aliased to `ls --color=auto'

Great, so it's an alias. But what is the underlying ls? How do I find out? I
did find out, by unaliasing ls and trying again, which showed that it's an
actual executable, /usr/bin/ls, and not a shell builtin.

But is there an easier/better way? Can 'type' be asked to recursively decode
aliases?

I looked at the relevant section of bash(1) (when I eventually found it),
but was not particularly enlightened.

Use 'help type' and try 'type -a ls'.

That ('help type') is much more readable than bash(1), thanks. I think I might have known about 'help', but had forgotten ...

Cheers,
Richard