Re: Get Terminal to Echo line in buffer on backspace

On Tue 31 Aug 2021 at 10:40:06 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:07:49AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Bound or unbound, I couldn't make ESC 1 Ctrl-L do anything useful
> > while output is in progress (like a clean display of the typeahead
> > so far typed). I couldn't see a way to force echoing the line at
> > that time.
>
> ??
>
> So... you're talking about something *completely* different from the
> OP's requirement.

Yes, as Nicolas pointed out, I was conflating two different things.

> The OP, as far as I've been able to determine, has a *background* job
> that's writing characters to the terminal while they're typing into
> an interactive shell's prompt.  The shell is not running a foreground
> command.  There is no "type ahead" involved.
>
> You're talking about running a *foreground* command, and then trying to
> type another command while this one is still running.  It's a totally
> different scenario.

Yes, I now see that. But as the movie looked very like a foreground
job (ping), I tried that out too. Just typing the ^R has an effect
very like what is seen there, and you can type ahead and rubout at
will, producing a neat, corrected command line. I can't recall my
having used ^R in that way before.

> The Ctrl-L stuff (in all its variations) is intended only for the OP's
> scenario.  They're typing at a shell prompt, and a bit of "noise"
> is thrown onto the screen, disrupting them.  It's a one-time event, and
> they'd just like to wipe away the noise so they can see what they're
> typing (and specifically so that backspace is handled "correctly").
>
> It won't help in your scenario, at all.

No, I discovered that; just like you, I'd never looked into this stuff.
I'm afraid I just treat some of the posts here as brainteasers, giving
motivation for a bit of poking around.

Cheers,
David.