.profile not being src'd at login on uptodate buster

Greetings all;

I just installed buster on a Dell 7010 and I have added two stanza's to
my .profile, to find a logout and back in does not establish a new
$PATH.

The first of them will be added but not the other if I
. .profile

The additions to .profile are:
=====
# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private AppImages if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/AppImages" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/AppImages:$PATH"
fi
=====