Re: Google vs. DDG

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 01:51:09AM +0200, ellanios82 wrote:
> On 3/14/21 1:41 AM, Weaver wrote:
> >>russian search-engine  <yandex.com> helpful
> >Yes, I use that for it's local focus, especially, and a few others.
> >One doesn't cover it all.
> >I just don't use Google.
> >Cheers!
>

>  - believe that <startpage.com> can anonymize
>
>  ones google search?

Yes, but you must be aware that "anonymizing the search" has an
effect on search results (and thus perceived search engine quality).

Knowing *you* gives a lot of context to your search query. Google
leverages this to your (and of course much more to their) benefit.

If you want to make alternatives viable for you, you've to take
this effect into account and tune your query behaviour.

Otherwise, you're going to go around telling "meh, Google is better",
although it isn't strictly true (see other posts in this thread
to see what I mean).

Cheers
 - t