Re: Where can I change spamd logging?

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 02:52:05PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> adding this "-s ~/gene/log/mail.log" inside the option "double quote
> pair"> and issueing an /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart, didn't bother
> it a bit.
>
> The way I read that manpage, it should have worked.

First: do you actually have a subdirectory named 'gene' inside your
home directory?

Second: can you show the actual line of the config file, with your
modification, and then the resulting service logs after the restart?

Third: can you explain what "didn't bother it a bit" means?  What was
the actual resulting behavior?  What did it say in the logs?

If you mean something like "the logs were not written to ~/log/mail.log
but instead were written to ____" then it might be because you used the
wrong pathname in the config, so it ignored the config, and used its
default pathname.  Ideally the logs would include a warning telling
you this, but not everything gives coherent warnings in all cases.

Fourth: it's possible that tilde expansion is not performed by this
service when reading this particular config option.  Hopefully the
man page will say whether it does or not -- but if it doesn't say, then
you'll fall back to trial-and-error (put it in the configs, restart
the service, check the logs, and repeat).  Or, if you don't like
trial-and-error documentation, you could just use a pathname that is
guaranteed to work correctly, without requiring tilde expansion.