non-existing interface problem

Buster, Dell laptop

I've got what might be two ghost interfaces, and I think I'd like to get rid of them.

I use /etc/network/interfaces to configure interfaces.  I have eth0 and eth0:1 static, and wlan0 DHCP interfaces in the interfaces file.  Everything works properly.  The box is on two nets and acts as I expect it to.

ifconfig shows eth1 and wwan0 (yes wwan0, not wlan<n>) as existing, but down, interfaces.  It claims eth1 has an Ethernet address (10:05:01:49:64:9d) -- similar to eth0's (10:05:01:40:f4:43).  Neither eth1 or wwan0 exist, as far as I know.  They aren't mentioned in my interfaces file, and there's just one Ethernet hole on the computer.  On the outside, anyway.  Webmin shown them in its list of existing interfaces, but they're greyed out and I can't access them (Webmin also says they're down).

root@gobook3:/# ifconfig eth1 up
doesn't complain, but afterward, it says it's not up:

root@gobook3:/# ifconfig eth1
eth1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 10:05:01:49:64:9d  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

ifconfig assigns eth1 an address if asked to:
root@gobook3:/# ifconfig eth1 42.42.42.42

root@gobook3:/# ifconfig eth1
eth1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 42.42.42.42  netmask 255.0.0.0  broadcast 42.255.255.255

And Webmin shows eth1 with the IP and up.  And it's accessible now.

But ifup:

root@gobook3:/# ifup eth1
ifup: unknown interface eth1

They don't really seem to hurt anything because they're never expected to be active (and they certainly aren't), but I'd like to get rid of them.  They're a little sloppy  in my configs, and they might bite me in the ass someday.

I've looked for several things on the web, and grepped for wwan on the disk to no avail.  This confusion doesn't exist on the Supermicro desktop.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Or maybe just an explanation of what's going on so I can quit worrying about it.

--
Glenn English