Re: Network connection of a qemu guest.

Reco,

Thanks for the reply.

> In this case QEMU uses built-in DHCP server to provide 10.0.2/24 network
> to the guest OS. If you need another network it should be changed in
> QEMU's commandline.

Thanks.  I'm trying to set a _static_ address for the guest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_ip_address
Ref. https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/03/msg00546.html

All the QEMU documentation I've found focusses on DHCP. Imagine the
guest system tries to set a static address and QEMU offers DHCP. Seems
unlikely to succeed.  Should be a way to configure qemu to provide a
subnet to the guest on an interface with a static address.  (?)

> Of course, as it's not a point-to-point connection.

Yes, but a stanza in /etc/network/interfaces refers to an interface
name. The Debian 10 here for example, includes interface
enx0050b60be9be which is used for a subnet.

To make a valid stanza for the qemu guest an interface name is
essential.  Either qemu must invent a name or the qemu configuration
will have to specify it.  Another detail I haven't found in the
documentation.

Thanks,                    ... P.

--
cell: +1 236 464 1479            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140