Re: Finding related package for bug report regarding display output

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 08:19:50 +0100
Max Görner <max@familie-goerner.eu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since 26th of February I have problems with the DisplayPort outputs
> of my Lenovo ThinkPad T470p. If I use the notebooks output I can get
> one external monitor to function but daisy chaining does not work. If
> I use the output of the docking station, the external monitors do not
> work at all.
>
> At boot, betwenen GRUB and disk encryption, there is a error message
> that reads relevant:
>
>      [drm:drm_dp_send_link_address [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* Sending
> link address failed with -5
>

> I wanted to file a bug but were discouraged because one should name
> the related package. Those who do not know the related package shall
> reach out to the mailing list.
>
> So here am I. Could you please help me to find out which package is
> affected so I can then file a proper bug report?

Generally it works if you just make your best guess, and the bug
fixers will move it to the correct one.

We mortals don't really know which package is the source of a bug,
just which package it affects, so even if the package responsible
appears to be obvious, it still often won't be the right one. The
package in which you see the effects of the bug is usually a good
start.

It's more important that you can add details of variation of the
bug e.g. 'it doesn't happen if I start the program by typing the program
name in a terminal but I do see this warning:'. If you can use gdb and
generate a backtrace, it's better still.

--
Joe