Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

Hi,

The Wanderer wrote:
> I can't completely rule out a derivation from "user", but I don't think
> that's usually considered likely.

My german translation of S.R. Bourne's The Unix Syistem of 1983 states:
  "Der Katalog /usr enthaelt Kataloge des Systems und der Benutzer."
Back translated:

  "The directory /usr contains directories of the system and the users."

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_filesystem#Conventional_directory_layout
states

  /usr
  The "user file system": originally the directory holding user home
  directories, but already by the Third Edition of Research Unix, ca. 1973,
  reused to split the operating system's programs over two disks (one of
  them a 256K fixed-head drive) so that basic commands would either appear
  in /bin or /usr/bin.

So it was the usual effect of the system oozing out of the hardware
capacity. Nowadays its KDE and 1 GB of RAM. Back then it was /bin and
a 256K disk.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas