Re: Disk problem whilst attempting to install Buster (10.7)

Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> >> Trying to install Buster to a new Acer Aspire A515-56. The install (from
> >> live DVD) hangs asking for disk device ID. This info is at least 12
> >> screws from immediate resolution, except for the BIOS(?)/UEFI output of:
> >>
> Thanks Dan. That's useful info, but until I am able to install Debian
> it's a little theoretical :-)
>
> My problem is that the installation stops at the "finding disks" step,
> says it can't locate a driver and could I help, from a comprehensive
> list of devices. I paraphrase the question as the m/c is now turned off.

Oh. That's harder.

Luckily, this exists:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Acer/Aspire%205%20A515-56

and says:

Driver support is much better in Bullseye than in Buster, due to
how new the hardware is, so it may be advisable to install
bullseye instead of buster (I have not tried this). I installed
Buster and managed to get a functional system by installing a
newer linux kernel and linux-firmware-nonfree from
buster-backports, and installing firmware-iwlwifi and
firmware-sof-signed from the bullseye repo. Do this at your own
risk.

and also:

You need to disable Intel Volume Management Device Bootcamp in
the UEFI to get the Debian installer to recognise the internal
SSD:

    Boot into Windows and disable Intel Octane Storage
Management for the SSD
    Disable fast startup in the power settings in the Control
Panel
    Set Windows to boot into safe mode temporarily, and shutdown
the system.
    Power on the computer, and press F2 to open the UEFI menu.
        Goto main tab, press Ctrl+s, go to VMD Controller, and
set it to disabled.
        Enable F12 Boot Menu
    Save and reboot into Windows in safe mode and restart -
check that Windows boots successfully when safe mode is disabled
        If a blue screen occurs on startup, go back to the UEFI
menu and re-enable VMD Controller, boot into Windows, and try
again.
    Insert your installation media
    Reboot and press F12 to open the boot menu, and boot the
installation media

    I found
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/607762/installing-linux-on-my-new-aspire-5-a515-55
useful in this (note: the model and UEFI settings are slightly
different in this forum post)

{i} A wired ethernet connection is essentially required to use
the netinst installer and install non-free firmware (if you're
using installation media without the non-free iwlwifi drivers).
This is because the wired connection works out of the box, but
extra non-free drivers are needed for the wi-fi card.

    You could also use another Debian computer to download the
packages onto a USB stick, and you can manually install the
required extra packages from it using dpkg - but using a wired
connection is easier.