Re: debian-user list info and guidelines: spam

On Monday 25 January 2021 08:29:54 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 02:17:34PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > Are those modifications added by the Debian mailing list? That'd be
> > strange, because I don't see them...
>
> No.  They're done on the receiving end.  I'm just letting you know
> that there's some horrible shit out here in the real world.

I agree. I get them too, and I think in the last several years I've only
found one legit email in the whole lot. So I dump the bounce msgs
to /dev/null by hand.

What we really need is a utility like the little Amazon box that blocks
phone numbers from a war dialer so nicely. I answer the phone here with
a finger near the big red button, and I'll say go or hello twice in 3
secs, if no human is on the line by then, its a war dialer looking for
its human to sell me something, so the button gets pushed.  Never hear
from that number again. Something that looks at the messages header and
auto-composes a procmail recipe to kill it forever.  I'd install that in
front of kmail in a heartbeat. I've had it about a year, the blocked
counter is nearly 100.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis