Re: Upstream Default (FOSS) DDX Driver for NVidia GPUs is not Nouveau

On 2021-01-20 at 19:32, Felix Miata wrote:

> Sven Joachim composed on 2021-01-20 23:18 (UTC+0100):
>
>> On 2021-01-20 16:45 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> Its life as a separate package then ceased as well. It was moved
>>> into the server package. I never found an announcement to the
>>> effect, but I believe this move in effect made it the default DDX
>>> driver for any version of the Xorg server from version 1.17.0 and
>>> up.
>
>> Not really, the upstream Xorg server still uses a graphics card
>> specific driver if available.
>
> That was exactly one of my points. "If available" equates to they are
> optional, not needed by primarily AMD, Intel and NVidia graphics
> devices made since somewhere around 2010.

This looks like another case (which I hadn't noticed before) of a
difference in possible meanings of "default".

Some people may read "the default DDX driver" to mean "the DDX driver
which will be used unless something tells it to do otherwise". I'm
guessing this is how Sven read it.

Other people may read it to mean "the DDX driver which will be used in
the default case where no better one is available". I'm guessing this is
how you intended it.

> Since a year or so of server 1.17.0 appearance, the GPU-specific DDX
> drivers spend a bare minimum of time installed on the vast majority
> of my PCs. Other than AMDGPU, the others occasionally get installed
> only temporarily for quick testing and then are removed.

One thing which I haven't been able to make out yet in reading about
these modesetting drivers: how well do they work for 3D performance? Or
for that matter, high-end 2D, such as you get with Dwarf Fortress?

The only positive statements I've found so far, that I recall, are that
they work well for 2D acceleration on at least some (if not most) GPU
models.

If you're using them near-exclusively on most of your PCs, that could
imply that they work fine for 3D etc., or simply that you don't tend to
need those things on those PCs.

--
   The Wanderer