Re: pulseaudio-dlna expected behaviour

On 1/19/21 1:48 PM, elvis wrote:
> Hello, I have a very general question about what is supposed to happen
> with audio routing, I'm not sure what I am doing is right and I'd like
> to rule out the person behind the keyboard before I start on debugging
> the setup.
>
> I am running debian stable with pulseaudio-dlna installed.
>
> The widget in kde brings it up in the audio volume as running.
>
> On the network I have a onkyo receiver and also a vero 4k+ with osmc on
> it. They both get detected by pulse audio as audio sinks? and are listed
> under the speakers.
>
> When I tick them as where I want the audio to play, nothing happens.
>
> My question is, is something supposed to happen? Does sound just play
> out of them without being put into some kind of receive mode? I can't
> find any settings that say "play music you get streamed to you across
> the network". I can't find anything in either of their menus about being
> an audio renderer, but if they are not, why would pulseaudio detect them?
>
> I've seen threads in Ubuntu about upgrading or compiling your own
> pulseaudio-dlna, before I go that route I'd like to know if I doing it
> wrong or right so far.

I'll try to explain how pulseaudio-dlna works on my computer with my
audio system:

 - start pulseaudio-dlna on your computer. I usually start it from
console and be sure that port 8080 (it's by default) is open on your
computer.

 - start audio (or video) program with source sound
 - start your audio receiver. It depends on particular device how much
time it needs to start and appear in Pulse Audio Volume Control
 - start Pulse Audio Volume Control
 - on "Playback" tab you should see the program with audio source and at
its right side you can select particular sound card. On this place your
DLNA device should be visible. I may need to adjust volume in your audio
source program.

HTH

Kind regards
Georgi