Re: Some questions around needrestart utility

Hi,

17 janv. 2021 à 19:24 de didier.gaumet@gmail.com:

> I installed needrestart (and needrestart-session too) because it is suggested by unattended-upgrades (installed and running on my system, with apt-listbugs), so when something has been upgraded and needs to be restarted, needrestart pops up on my display to warn me

I didn't pay attention there is a needrestart-session!

Can you tell me please how it could be useful to me if I have already needrestart?
Indeed, needrestart already lists me the "User sessions running outdated binaries"... What's more to expect?

17 janv. 2021 à 21:06 de sven@svenhartge.de:

> All this is configured via /etc/needrestart/needrestart.conf.
>
> Services can be blacklisted and will never even show up and services can
> be overridden and will show up but will be deselected, for the admin to
> manually select them to be restarted should they so desire.
>
> The configuration provides a selection of pre-defined overrides, based
> on experience of the author(s), bug reports and input from users.
>
> You will find networking stuff like "NetworkManager" or display managers
> like "lightdm" in there to prevent you from sawing off the branch you
> are sitting on.

Ok, I didn't get this is the meaning of "override". Clear now, thanks.
Best regards,
l0f4r0