Re: sharing a network connection from debian to non-debian

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 05:01:23 AM David Christensen wrote:
> On 2021-01-15 21:02, Dan Hitt wrote:
> > In 2016, i had a computer with mint on it (which is a form of ubuntu),
> > and it was connected to an internet modem.  There was a super simple gui
> > on it that i could use to share that connection with some older hardware
> > that were not directly connected to the internet modem.  (They were not
> > connected to the internet modem because for whatever reason, directly
> > connecting them made them very unstable and prone to crash.)  But,
> > nevertheless, the old hardware could use the mint box with no
> > configuration on my part, and get out to the internet through it.

Just to suggest an alternate solution, you could put a (hardware) router after
the Internet modem and use that to provide access to multiple computers /
devices.

I have a Ubiquiti edge router with 4 Ethernet ports and some nice features
(among them QOS that lets me limit the bandwidth used by some devices so that
other devices can get sufficient bandwidth when the need it (e.g., VOIP
telephones)).  (Also, usage monitoring, firewall capability, Nat capability
(well, I'll say all the things you normally need.  I think the list price of
the Edge router today is around $100 -- I bought it several (5?) years ago on
sale for ~$50.

My son and I each have a desk with multiple devices which need Internet
access, so we ran one cable from the Edge router to each desk, then put an
Ethernet switch at each desk to allow multiple devices to connect.