Re: Nvidia Optimus, Debian 10, and Firefox ESR crashes

On 05/01/2021 08:27, Felix Miata wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU composed on 2021-01-05 09:14 (UTC+0200):
>
>> David Christensen wrote:
> $ xrandr | wc -l
> 17
> $ xrandr -q | wc -l
> 17
> $ xrandr | wc -c
> 706
> $ xrandr -q | wc -c
>
> I have no idea why the -q switch exists.

From the manpage:

    -q, --query
              When this option is present, or when no configuration
changes are requested, xrandr will display the current state of the system.

So, the point of it appears to be either to report back the results of
configuration changes, or to display the initial state of the system
before the change. It depends on how "current state" is determined.
Yeah, that's a confusing option.