Re: Identity Theft

On 2021-12-21 5:23 p.m., tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Le 21/12/2021 à 16:20, Richmond a écrit :
>> Jeremy Ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> writes:

>>> There is a type of attack called cross-site scripting (XSS). It's
>>> mostly been eliminated by latest version browsers, but there are
>>> always zero-day vulnerabilities.
>>>
>>> The effect is that if you are vulnerable and have two tabs open, one
>>> to the legitimate site, and one to a bad guy site, the bad guy can
>>> alter your trusted site and for instance change a valid link into
>>> something malicious, or change a displayed phone number.
>>>
>>> More at https://owasp.org/www-community/attacks/xss/
>>
>> That doesn't explain how the phone log showed the correct number had
>> been dialled. I suppose it is possible a call was in progress or came in
>> at the exact moment that the number was dialled. But then how did the
>> number get logged as a call?
>>

> One possiblity is that the target (recipient of the call) company
> internal communication network was compromised. That happens quite
> often, not as much as mail servers but it is still not unknown.

This was a pretty popular form of hacking from the 1980 up to mid 2000.
As soon there was some automatic exchange, people found ways to act them
and more programmable they were, the more hacked happened. Call
redirection is not unknown of and not because there's new way of hacking
that the old one stop being used.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside