Re: how to set fixed virtual-ethernet MAC address in VM while still doing DHCP?

Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> I have a virtual machine (VM) running Debian 10.10.0 ("Buster") x86-64,
> running in an OpenBSD 7.0 host (using the OpenBSD 'vmm' VM monitor).

> So, my question is, how can I set a fixed virtual-ethernet MAC address
> in Debian and still have the system use DHCP for IPv4 network configuration?

OpenBSD's VM infrastructure owns the virtual hardware.

vm "tux" {
    enable
    memory 97G
    owner jthorn
    disk "/var/vmm/tux.qcow2" format qcow2
    interface tap {
        switch "uplink_veb420"
        lladdr fe:ee:bb:d1:c8:01
    }
}

In your interface config for the VM, set the lladdr.

-dsr-