Non-working CPU cores showing up

Folks:

Here's a curious thing. I have a 10th gen Intel i3 CPU with four cores. When I look at /proc/cpuinfo, it actually shows eight cores. There's a line in the output of each core which is

cpu cores       : 4

But there are outputs for each of eight cores, numbered 0 through 7.

Is it possible that there were eight cores on this CPU, and four of them were non-working (I know it's typical to have non-working cores on a die), and this file shows all the original cores?

Or does someone have a better explanation?

Paul