Re: MD5 listing format

On Sun 28 Nov 2021 at 23:40:43 (+0100), Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
> > My solution will be to rename or delete the file,
> > after adding code to detect any future occurrences.
>
> Or you could avoid to show md5sum a file name.
>
>   path=...as.weird.as.is...
>   md5sum <"$path"
>
> will yield something like
>
>   b8ce6ed30aa67e94ad9276c9ac2bbc50  -
>
> If you need a file name in the result line, then you can change the "-"
> to the file name in a form which you like.

I came across this when I googled the filename:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/144408/what-is-the-file-c-nppdf32log-debuglog-txt
and I would imagine that it's likely related to the origin of my file.
It's the first file in a decade to cause that escaping mechanism,
and only got captured because I dumped the entire /home of a machine
I decommissioned a while back.

Your workaround is probably useful for really pathological filenames,
but doesn't scale well for my use case. (There are 356866 lines in
the MD5SUMS file concerned.) Thanks.

Cheers,
David.