Re: Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On Sun Nov 28 11:38:54 2021 Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:58:58 -0600
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I use Gnus.  I've never manually installed any emoji fonts
>>> (or any other fonts) but I see the glyphs, not the tofu.
>>
>> Questions like this remind me how little I understand font handling.
>> I read mail in mutt in xterm in fvwm in X, currently in buster, and
>> I see four glyphs. If I save the email in a file, then I see the

>> I wrote /four/ glyphs, but it sounds as if Celejar sees three,
>> the first one being coloured with some sort of skin tone. My
>> second glyph, 🏻, is a half-tone box with three lines of dots
>> inside, of 3, 4 and 3 dots.
>
> I assume that the reason I see three and you see four is that the
> first one (of my three) consists of a combination of the basic
> "blond haired person" glyph plus a "light skin tone" modifier glyph,
> which are presumably ideally supposed to be displayed together:
>
> https://emojiterra.com/blond-haired-person-light-skin-tone/

Am I the only one who sees the irony in all this?  We're living
in an era where the so-called "woke" generation is taking offence
at every perceived slight or sign of racial or sexual discrimination,
however minor.  Yet these same people are eagerly leaving behind the
originally all-text form of e-mail - which has no glyphs that portray
such differences - in favour of graphics that are gleefully being used
to highlight them.  Why is nobody being "triggered" by this?

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.