Re: Update Debian 9 to Debian 11

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 07:39:56PM +0200, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new user of Debian, and I have access to a PC that currently runs
> Debian 9.13.
> I want to update to a more recent version, since that is what is generally
> suggested, and for compatibility reasons too. Before I do the update, I
> have some questions.
>

>    1. Which version should I prefere, Debian 10 or 11 (I am asking because
>    Debian 11 are very recent)?

You need to update to 10 first and then to 11 - skipping major versions is
not advised. There have been various messages on this list in recent
months describing how to do this.

>    2. Does dual boot affect the update somehow?

If it is already running as dual boot, it should not be problematic.
It is good and useful to bring everything to the latest patch level and
with all upgrades in Windows installed before changing anything else.

Likewise, when upgrading Debian:
Bring 9.13 up to date. Reboot.
Install 10.10. Bring it up to date and deal with any issues. Reboot.
Remove any obsolate softwrare: deal with any issues. Reboot:
Install 11
Don't just run 3 x upgrade without rebooting to check.

>    3. What should I consider (if anything) during the update?

It may be worth checking before you start:

1. Is the machine currently booting using UEFI or MBR/Legacy boot?
2. Can the machine boot from USB if needed?
3. What network connectivity do you have for the upgrade - how are
you connecting?
4. What do you intend doing with the machine: it may be that you can
simplify what you need to upgrade by removing programs you know you
will no longer need before upgrading the whole thing. Problems don't often
occur but it's easier if you are updating a simpler machine with fewer
services if that's possible.

The below is very obvious and I'm ashamed to assume you need to know but
nobody ever does it until it's too late :)

READ THE RELEASE NOTES / UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS
[For example: the format of the /etc/apt/sources.list changed slightly in
the change over from 10 to 11. It is documented but we've been asked about
it several times].

A downgrade from a later version to an earlier may be just possible but is
significantly difficult: if the upgrades fail, it may actually be easier
to reinstall than try to downgrade / go back in the process.

Yu may find it very useful to keep a log of the commands you have typed
and write a checklist of where you are when upgrading: if you have to guess
exactly what steps you did/what commands you typed after doing these upgrades
and you have to rely only on your memory , it's a lot harder.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater