Re: Held Back Packages on Debian Sid

On Du, 24 oct 21, 04:19:54, Ashish Kujur wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I switched to Sid from Stable last month and everything seems to be
> going great. I have setup Timeshift to take snapsnots once everyday,
> in case, any packages break.
> I use GNU Octave 6.2 and it depends on older version of libhypre.
> There's a newer version of libhypre available from apt and it has been
> held back. If I try to upgrade libhypre using full-upgrade (which is
> not recommended, of course) or install it manually, apt tries to
> remove Octave. What are my options here? Should I be okay with
> packages getting held back? Also, will libhypre be upgrade when
> there's a newer version of GNU Octave available?

It's difficult to tell from the limited information you provided. Please
paste here the full output of 'apt -sV full-upgrade'.

> In general, if some package x depends on a package y and there's a
> upgrade available for y, will both x and y be upgraded when there's an
> upgrade available for x?

It depends on how strict the dependencies are, but in general APT will
try to upgrade everything it can according to your request (`upgrade` or
`full-upgrade`).

Kind regards,
Andrei