Re: drawing smith charts

On Saturday 23 October 2021 05:58:12 didier gaumet wrote:

> Le samedi 23 octobre 2021 à 04:58 -0400, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > Greetings;
> >
> > One of the things I occasionally do is service my local AM radio
> > station
> > when its off the air. This includes trying to keep the VSWR under
> > control.
> >
> > I have a redpitaya Vector Network Analyser that I use to tune the
> > tower,
> > and it gives me the tuning state in the form of a smith chart. But
> > while
> > it claims to run with a linux system as the display, it doesn't, so
> > I had to buy a cheap all-in-one with win 10 home edition on it.
> > Works great but is a pita to setup and get started. The windows
> > driver is also
> > about 50x the size of the linux driver that doesn't work.
> >
> > What can I install to a buster machine that might make this
> > graphical display work?  We had, a decade back, a something or other
> > "plot" that
> > might have been able to draw a smith chart but I haven't seen it in
> > the
> > repos recently. It also was a square plotter, whereas the smith
> > chart is
> > circular at its maximum error limits.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a linux substitute?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>
> Hello,
>
> I do not know nothing about radio setup, your hardware and this brand,
> so I am afraid I can not help you much.
>
> But the manufacturer claims it works under Linux and provides
> instructions to get it running:
> https://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/latest/appsFeatures/applications/v
>na/appVNA.html#linux-users-only Albeit there is an error in the link to
> download the "control program" which points to the Windows client
> instead of the Linux one.
> The correct link
> is:https://downloads.redpitaya.com/downloads/Clients/vna/vna-linux-too
>l.zip

Thank you very very much Didier. In my conversations with the maker in cz
land I was never able to acquire that link from them. Every link they
gave me pointed at the winblows version. Now to see if I can make it run
on a pi4b. Or something similar that looks like a lappy but with a
screen big enough to read.

Attempting to run it on a pi4b running raspbian buster, which is normally
running a cnc'd 11x54 lathe, with a preempt-rt kernel, it takes about 30
seconds to get to line 32 and a failure.
line 32 tells it:

from mpldatacursor import datacursor

but it can't find mpldatacursor. found some mpl suspects, installing them
on that pi now. Then runniing sudo updatedb, then try python3 ./vna.py
again. And it still bails out, same error:(paste)

pi@rpi4:/media/pi/workspace/vna-linux-tool $ python3 ./vna.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./vna.py", line 32, in <module>
    from mpldatacursor import datacursor
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'mpldatacursor'

And according to synaptic, there isn't such a critter. Any suggestions?

I'll ask on the python list. Maybe someone there knows.

Thank you Didier. that link is much appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis